We believe that when funders make diversity, equity, and inclusion central to their missions, philanthropy has greater impact. That’s because having varied perspectives helps generate better ideas to solve the complex problems of a changing—and increasingly diverse—world.
We’re infusing these values throughout our internal culture, systems, and practices. While doing so is a responsibility all staff share, we’ve also created a task force to help us think in a more focused way about how we advance diversity, equity, and inclusion across the foundation.
2018 Diversity and Inclusion Update
In the charts below, "Croner" references a survey of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion practices conducted by The Croner Company and sponsored by Ford Foundation. 33 large foundations with assets greater than $2 billion were invited to participate. 16 submitted data.
The Ford Foundation, by gender
The Ford Foundation, by Race and Ethnicity (US only)
So what are we doing?
We have taken a number of concrete steps to infuse diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our grant making and internal systems.
- We’re embarking on a global diversity, equity, and inclusion audit of our global policies, practices and procedures, starting in the fall of 2017.
- We’re learning about best practices for achieving diversity, equity, and inclusion, and sharing that knowledge with everyone at the foundation.
- We’re strengthening our ability to recruit and retain exemplary, diverse staff and leadership.
- To ensure parity, we periodically review compensation levels for all staff across various dimensions of diversity.
- We hire consultants and vendors that reflect our commitment to diversity and inclusion. For example, to manage the extensive renovation of our New York City headquarters, we hired Henegan Construction Company, a woman-owned business that actively engages other enterprises owned and operated by minorities, women, and people with disabilities.
- We work to ensure that people of all abilities can access and engage with foundation resources and information.
- Our grant making favors organizations and institutions with a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- We support efforts to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion practices across the philanthropy sector more broadly.
Necessarily, strengthening diversity, equity, and inclusion across the foundation is an ongoing process—and so our work in these areas continues to evolve and grow into new areas.