Published in Crain's Detroit Business | October 23, 2016
Ford Foundation: Continuing legacy of community giving
By Emell Derra Adolphus
When the Ford Foundation was created in Detroit in 1936 from an initial gift of $25,000 from Edsel Ford, the foundation was to be used for "scientific, educational and charitable purposes, all for the public welfare."
Eighty years later, the foundation's mission is reflected in its investments worldwide and in the local community, including an estimated $238.5 million to programs and institutions in Detroit in the form of scholarships and grants, according to the foundation.